Sunday, August 23, 2009

Statutory Something

My 82 year old mother had just gone to the annual Be-Boppin’ Antique Car Festival. She was going on and on and on about some Bugatti she’d seen. I must have yawned, or chewed through my own leg or something, because she said, “It’s art!”

I said, “No, paintings are art. These are cars.”

She said, “You like sculpture.”

I said, “Some sculpture.”

She said, “Cars are sculpture. You like Michelangelo’s David.”

I said, “I’ll go out on a limb here and say yes, I’d rather look at a statue of a muscular naked young man than a car.”

She sighed, and said, “What does it say about me that I’d rather look at the car?”

I said as compassionately as I could, “Well, you can still drive.”

The funniest part is, she made me blog this.

2 comments:

Cheri Sicard said...

Having always been a fan of functional art, I'm with your mom (even though I'm particularly a car nut).

jan said...

yup, i'm with Mom on this one too.