Monday, January 25, 2010

Pitter Pattern

Put a line under two dots and your brain will turn it into a face. Two random events will make you edgily paranoid until the third happens. The song playing on the radio when you started your car this morning may have been chosen by some faceless marketing director, but if it ever had meaning for you, your day is made -- or ruined.

I’d say Life is like that, but it’s not Life. It’s us. We’re like that. I don’t know if we’re searching for meaning or what, but we make things matter simply by deciding that they do.

If you get all green lights going to work, it’s a blessing on your day. If something good happens, the socks you were wearing become your lucky socks. I’m trying to keep this positive because I am so damned superstitious, knock wood. Besides, we all know the other side, the dark side: the shirt we don’t want to put back on because of what happened the last time we wore it, the scent we associate with pain, that restaurant where… never mind.

We make these patterns ourselves. We associate things with events. And we use those patterns, not to duplicate the events, but the feelings associated with them.

This blog has its own patterns. Two recent posts received unexpected and lovely public comments, and that threw me off completely. I was bogged down trying to match the phenomena, trying to duplicate the pattern of successful expression. Since I can’t even remember what socks I was wearing when I wrote either of them, I was stuck. Then I remembered the subtitle, “Random musings” and whoosh! Here we are again. Welcome back.

No comments: