Thursday, February 6, 2014

Art For Fart's Sake

You want to do something new, something worthwhile, something fun. Ideally, you want to do something that’s all three and then some.

A painter’s gotta paint. A sculptor’s gotta sculpt. When you have to fart, you’ve got to let it out.

(Okay, that takes care of the title. Check.)

That’s how I ended up starting Scarycookies in the first place. I had things I wanted to say, so I said them. And yes, I know I’m putting that dangerously close to a fart analogy. Be kind.

But I digress.

What do you want to do that you’re not doing?

I bet your first thought was about the reasons why you’re not doing whatever-it-is. Work, time, opportunity, lack of skill – all the negatives.

Don’t make that face. Auntie knows you better than you think. Besides, I do it too. Everyone does. It’s whatchacall human nature.

The trick, and it is indeed a magic trick, is to get past all that, or at least to get off of our asses and do something.

Auntie is still working on that last bit. I’m not sure if writing a blog post counts, since it conveniently doubles as an avoidance mechanism.

Let’s take a lesson from Improvisational Comedy and “yes and” the situation.

It’s a cold dreary Thursday afternoon. Responsibilities and obligations make tidy heaps on your schedule. The weekend is still ages away. The suggested word is “fun”.

What do you do?

Ahem. I really hope your coworkers didn’t see you flip off the monitor. However, Auntie agrees with your sentiment, and I have to admit, you made me smile.

Then again, it could just be gas.

No comments: