Monday, June 16, 2014

Reach Out & Touch Someone

Have you ever gone with me to a restaurant?

If yes, keep reading. (And, by the way, I’m sorry about that time. You know.)

If no, call me. We’ll go out. Then you can come back and read the rest of this post.

So you know that thing I do in restaurants, well I did it again this morning. It was such fun that for the first time in ages I am energized to write to you guys.

Of course we were at BeaBea’s. (Google the menu if you haven’t been, then you’ll know why if I use the word “out” in reference to “morning” ergo hence BeaBea’s Q.E.D.)

Rika was there, radiant as ever, but this is about Tony. Turns out he’s a street photographer! I adore street photography. We had such fun talking theory that I want to go outside right now and take pix.

Think about that for a minute. I. Want to go outside. Your lazy-ass auntie who despises daylight. That I.

And that’s the lesson for today. (Bam! Gotcha.)

We need other people in our lives. Not just the beloved and/or familiar kinds of people. Those are good people to have, except maybe that guy from work, but still.

I mean people you don’t know, people outside your circle of work and family and Facebook friends and Instagram buddies.

Random people will give you insights, even if it’s only because you weren’t expecting anything. A passing smile or nod can break whatever mental exercycle your thoughts were looping through over and over again. Even a banal comment about the weather can take you out of yourself.

But if you actually have a conversation with this person you don’t know, well then, that’s like the grab bags we used to get when we were kids. There’s a prize inside, and it might even be something terrific. Serendipity can be as good as a double red-eye to get you going again when routine has bogged you down.

Sometimes you need to have a stranger tell you something you already know for you to take it seriously, get off your ass and DO something about it.

Besides, people can be fun and it’s nice to Play Well With Others.

No comments: