Friday, September 26, 2008

Cyberspace

Cyberspace is funny. Despite the illusion of enormity, really we’re all just sitting alone with our faces in a monitor. To those of you picking your nose or scratching your butt, thanks for not making me watch. Not like on the freeway, where we’re all encased in our tiny worlds jammed up next to each other, where in fact, yes, I can see you pick your nose and may I ask you to stop, please?

People close to me found True Love in cyberspace, though I did manage to use real paper to wrap the real wedding gift. I have friends here, in cyberspace. Some I’ll never meet in the flesh. They, you, are none the less real for all that. And when one of my virtual friends is suffering in their real world, that overlaps into mine as well.

Things I’ve Learned From People I’ll Never Meet:

1. I have a terrific recipe for summer squash, gotten from a Sioux zen master in a game of Tri Peaks.
2. Kids bite. Literally. They also spit a lot.
3. Sometimes someone who seems really nice, really is. (That one surprised me.)
4. Colloquial German looks strange when abbreviated in a chat room. Same for French.

No comments: