Saturday, October 18, 2008

Blog Blog Fizz Fizz

Television was the dominant cultural outlet of the last century, the Internet is obviously going to be It for this one. (Say it with me, “duh!” It’s a starting point, people. Work with me here.)

Did you know that you can zip to a random blog from this page? Look up top and click on “next blog”. I tried that last night.

For all the avoidably egregious syntax, what I found was humbling. From articulately heartbreaking political activism, to families just keeping in touch, to teenagers who put a level of effort into their blogs that should embarrass me --- except that I wonder why those kids came up with elaborate graphics, sound files and whatnot just to support a whine about having too much homework. Whatever happened to soul-wrenching adolescent angst? Sheesh.

Society is going through yet another round of the medium being the message. What I don’t understand is how Young People with their Twittering nanobyte attention spans can read each other’s screensful of … um… verbiage. I assume if I went to their school it would be more salient, but I still see irony here.

Print media is dying. Magazines are disappearing, newspapers are shrinking. Yet the next generation is churning out pages and pages of text online, accompanied by carefully chosen pictures and music. The curmudgeon in me wants to decry their lack of substance, easy enough to do. But they are WRITING! In quantity, no less. And in that, I uncharacteristically find hope.

No comments: