Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween, A Retrospective

Somewhere in my Dickensianly crowded desk drawers, I have a picture of myself as a child of maybe four, dressed in a pink princess costume. This was so long ago that it was still original and quite artsy to dress a little girl that way. My mother handcrafted the pointed hat with fake jewels and streaming veil, when the fact is that I was too young even to appreciate the pillowcase full of candy--- all of which I was allowed to eat, whenever I wanted.

It was years before parents were warned against treats of loose cookies or fresh apples (razor blades found therein in such quantities that ERs across town offered their x-ray equipment for screening kids’ loot.) Back then, movie horror was psychological when it was good, and special effects were equal parts ketchup and camp. Halloween was only fun, but it was way fun.

Fast forward, and Halloween was the coolest time of the year. Costumes were daring or bleak or symbolic (or all of the above), demonstrating either the state of mind or the aspirations of the wearer. I’m talking adulthood here, folks. At least two of you will remember my Halloween parties, with a guest list of over 50 and food for 100. Still, a decade has passed since the last of them, and I say, “Good riddance!”

Entropy affects everything, even holidays. Somewhere along the line, Halloween became more bother than it was worth. A big, beautiful pumpkin adorns our porch because it was a lovely gift. And having 200 pounds of dog is a great excuse not to give out candy, I’ll have a different excuse next year.

Bah humbug.

No comments: