Thursday, March 26, 2009

Vegas Snapshots: Food

My dears, I couldn’t possibly tell you All. Those of you who decry my veggies and grains with protein powder should have seen me gobble and gorge. Of course I kept a list, but there isn’t space on the Internet for it.

I will say that the truffled onion soup poured over sautéed wild mushrooms and a quenelle of red cabbage & red wine puree at Fleur de Lys remains one of my favorite flavors ever, anywhere. This version isn’t on the menu and was brought out as a gift from the kitchen, which added to my gratified delight. The asparagus, wild mushroom and parmesan risotto didn’t look like much but my oh my, the taste! Exploding with yummy goodness. Yellowtail (also not on the menu, another gift) with wild mushrooms and ginger foam. Tapioca soup with fruit and sorbet. Oh yeah, Robert liked his steak thingy and his valrhona chocolate soufflé. He can tell you about that himself.

Fresh cinnamon sugar doughnuts at Bouchon were served with home-made (in a restaurant?) cherry jam and Nutella for breakfast. Candied orange peel and cranberries in the oatmeal. Beurre monte over the poached eggs on toast.

Sustainable and artistic and delicious sushi at RM Café, two lunches in succession. Perfect pastries too numerous to mention, from a plethora of places.

But we mustn’t forget Aureole. They got an entire post from me last trip. Highlights only this time, because the kitchen generously added two entrees and two desserts to the full meal we had ordered. To describe it all would kill us both. Six (count’em 6!) amuse bouches, I especially liked the truffled egg served in an eggshell, and the lobster spring roll. Three cheese ravioli with house smoked salmon and lemon thyme foam, the thyme was a whisper, a melody that united the whole. The seared escolar on carmelized cauliflower with watercress beurre blanc was my other favorite dish of the trip. My dessert: Lady Gala doughnuts on salted-caramel mousse with apple ice cream and apple confit. Our terrific waiter gave us six different house-made sorbets and a lovely tiramisu and a chocolate thing as well.

In closing, I will just say--- burp.

1 comment:

Cheri Sicard said...

Oh wow that food sounds amazing. I miss good restaurants (sigh), as I am living in the culinary wasteland that is Big Bear.