Thursday, May 7, 2009

Back To The Future

We have an unbelievable level of technology readily available to us. It’s really space age stuff, although I’m not going to watch any old Jetsons to see how much of it was predicted. Segways, iPhones --- hell, regular cell phones (even non-camera versions like mine) are pretty amazing if you think about how your diapers were fitting while I was still rotary-dialing old style.

And what do we do with all this micro-circuitry? We go on Facebook and reconnect with people from our childhoods, our adolescences, our Good Olde Days.

Now I don’t know about you, but I spent the second twenty years of my life trying to forget the first twenty. Of course I’m delighted to be contacted by old friends, they’re not what I tried to forget. Overall, Facebook is good, as is technology, but please don’t tell anyone I said that.

No, this is about incongruity. This is about chintzy 80s junk being sold on Ebay for massive amounts of current recession-era dollars, or movies of dubious quality finding cult status when re-released on DVD--- when the fact of Ebay and owning movies would have been unimaginable thirty years ago.

My question is, does the super-cool information highway lead backwards, or do we just throw ourselves into reverse once we get on it?

3 comments:

jan said...

careful, CAROLE, i'm sensing some themes and leitmotifs in this ever-lengthening aria. good ones, tho. ok, better than good. but unlike you, i'm too lazy to pick the correct adjective.

carole* said...

Thanks, sis, but I wouldn't know a leitmotif if it walked up and bit me and you know it! XX

jan said...

have been thinking about the final paragraph (my favorite in this post). maybe the info highway allows us to move both forward and backward at once in a way that life does not? a prosthetic reality. i know, your question was probably rhetorical, but one of your astute blog's virtues lies in its existential provocations.