Friday, June 26, 2009

Time Is On Your Side

If you could do anything, what would it be?

Let’s get the obvious out of the way: heal the sick, end war, feed the hungry, clean up pollution, beat the crap out of the belligerent--- altruism and compassion are off limits. This is a purely hypothetical, selfish, indulgent hypothesis. No invisibility, x-ray vision, flying carpets or wishes, either. I’m trying to keep to a pragmatic unreality.

I find the evening stretching pleasantly in front of me. Not too far, it’s after 9:00, but still. My mind wanders to my personal cosmic To-Do list. I could clean out my desk (my car has recently been rendered pristine) or hit that pile of books I’ve been meaning to read. There’s that final Dark Shadows videotape (yes, VHS, really) to watch. There’s Pogo. Worst case, I suppose I could always work.

What would you do?

The Big Dog is visiting. This may be his last night though I hope to squeeze an extra day out of Fate. I love this beast, and he just came in, with his enormous head and beautiful black-coffee eyes. With little Jonah on sentry duty in the front window, it’s imperative that I go rub the Big Dog's belly for a while-- at least until Jonah comes in for his share of attention. Decision made by default. I hope all your choices are as easy.

No comments: