Sunday, January 30, 2011

Soggy Sunday

What a perfect day. My knees were aching, which meant I shouldn’t have been surprised by the sudden rain, but I was. Combine that with a night of dreams that would have made Duchamp proud and both Jung and Freud reconsider their vocations, and I decided to take the day off from the gym to Get Things Done Around The House.

When was the last time you did that? All those little chores that aren’t survival oriented, things you notice but don’t notice noticing, that don’t matter if they’re not done – when was the last time you attacked them? I didn’t get to them all, but I did enough.

Cleaning-as-metaphor aside, there’s a rare satisfaction to be found in the accretion of small achievements. I don’t know that I feel better, but it’s a different kind of good.

No comments: