Thursday, July 7, 2011

Common Cents

I don’t remember how much the bill was, but my change was $1.01. Before I could tell the gum-chewing cashier not to give me the penny, she handed me a receipt and a dollar bill then turned to the next customer. I didn’t want the penny. I would have dropped the penny strategically face-up in the parking lot had she given it to me. So why was I annoyed that she didn’t?

It’s been bugging me since it happened. As near as I can tell, it was because I was thwarted. Nobody likes to be thwarted, but for a control freak, it’s torture. An hour later I was able to (verbally) knock the testosterone out of a douchebag. Instead of feeling like I struck a blow for justice, I’m still thinking about that stupid penny.

1 comment:

jan said...

well, here's some compensation. per auntie's orders, Daphne is now (1)being treated only when silent,
(2)her diet has been changed to kibble, and it's (3)Wellness. Ditto all the stuff prescribed for your sis.