Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Someone Asked Auntie (Ask Auntie)

Dear Aunt Scary Cookies,
Every now and then I have to "work really late on a project" and I end up sleeping pretty poorly, or not at all. I'm afraid I look like one of the living dead the next day when I have breakfast with my friends the next morning. Is there something I can do so I don't look like crap after a long night of "work."
Thanks,
Having a new appreciation for blackout curtains

Dear “Curtains”,

Slices of cold cucumber on your (closed) eyes will reduce the puffiness. Invest in a Costco-size bottle of eye drops for the bloodshot. Switch from coffee to espresso to help with the rest. If you wear make-up, I’m partial to Dior Skinflash™, although any good light-reflecting concealer will do the job.

But really, honey, you should relax. Your friends know what you were doing all night. They know you never came back to the room. If you brought your “work” back to the room, euphemism isn’t the issue, tact and consideration are. Not to mention dividing the hotel bill by an extra person or two.

Oh, and if you’re at home and no hotels were involved, your friends still know because it’s a regular thing with you. If it wasn’t, they’d buy the “work” explanation.

No comments: