Sunday, December 30, 2012

Limbo Lower Standards

Yesterday someone congratulated me on the success of this blog.

I waited for the punchline – like you, I want people to think I can laugh at myself -- but there wasn’t one. He meant it.

He really, really meant it.

Come on, when was the last time someone complimented something you did? It just doesn’t happen.

Our best work is at best taken for granted, and at worst, dismissed.

The real world won’t give you an A, a brownie point, or a merit badge. But screw up and you’re like a pregnant pop star surrounded by paparazzi.

The reaction to a mistake falls somewhere along the spectrum from casual mockery to condemnation – not because of the flaw, but because of who sees it. That’s when it helps to be able to laugh at yourself. (Give it time. It gets easier, I promise.)

So what did I do when I got a real, honest-to-gosh-darn-goodness compliment?

I screwed up. I wanted more.

I wanted to know why he thought this blog is a success.

Turns out it’s because I keep it going. Most blogs don’t last for a dozen posts, I’ve done 441.

Make your own quantity/quality joke. I’ve laughed at myself enough for one day.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Brava! Congratulations on your ever continuing blog. Yes, it's rare to get a pure compliment about a specific achievement. In my experience, people reluctantly give praise but only if it doesn't elevate you above them, e.g. "great blog" (from an award-winning novelist. Or, people comment on their own failings e.g. great that your blog is prolific (unspoken: I tried blogging but only made 2 entries and quit). It's the rare, detached person who can comment on your achievements completely outside of their own abilities, e.g. "Brava, congratultions on your ever continuing blog"

carole* said...

Tanti grazie, bella! :)