Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Think Fast!

When you were a kid, did the asshole kids still shout “Think fast!” and throw something at your head?

They did when I was a kid, but I grew up in the Norman Rockwell-esque West Hollywood of the 1960s.

That’s a joke. It wasn’t Norman Rockwell-esque, but it wasn’t Norman Bates-esque either so I’m not complaining.

I am, however, getting off the point. Let’s go back. They’d shout “Think fast!” and throw something at your head. It’s a metaphor for my day today.

Plans got derailed by other plans which progressed until they also got derailed.

Think fast! Disruptions are coming for your face.

The question is how you handle it when the ball hits your head and/or your day hits a wall.

Do you cry? Do you get angry?

Do you shrug and add it to the list for your therapist when you’re old enough to have one?

Or do you laugh it off, however insincerely?

Forget Norman Rockwell and especially Norman Bates. The Norman who was huge when I was a kid was Norman Cousins. He believed that laughter was the best medicine.

Thus I wanted to say to the myriad petty little obstacles in front of me, har de har har. But I didn’t think fast enough.

1 comment:

Morgue said...

"Normal Rockwell or Norman Bates?" is now my go-to phrase for a handy crazy gauge.