Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday, Monday

Ah, omens. Harbingers of whatever follows them. And we’re talking about this on a Monday, which is the harbinger of the whole gosh-darn-dang week.

When something unusual happens first thing Monday morning, my inclination is to hunker down and assume the whole week will go like that. If it’s a good thing, fine. If it’s a bad thing, then I’m setting myself up for five days of misery. Not fine.

Two things happened this morning. One was kinda good, one was kinda not.

What to do, what to do?

Do I decide I’ve used up all my good karma and hunker down, or do I hope I got the bad stuff out of the way and rejoice? Do I over-think things when I should be out trying to make the world a Better Place, or at least finish the laundry?

I take omens seriously, but I don’t believe in them. (See previous re: self-fulfilling prophecy.)

Pay attention, Auntie is about to be wise for a sec: Absolutely everything can be edited. And by “edited,” I mean “spun.”

To be fair, a grievous tragedy will always be sad. No one can flip sorrow. Unfortunately enough, you can flip joy.

We’ve all seen people snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, as it were. Or maybe they were unhappy about things that would make us very happy indeed.

That’s okay too, right up to the moment when they start to complain about a good thing.

As I face the rest of the week, I’m trying to set the attitude knob on my outlook. What does the Magic 8-Ball™ think?

“Outlook not so good”

Seriously, it just said that. For real, folks.

But did it say that just to be funny? Let’s ask. 8-Ball, were you messing with me?

“Without a doubt”

And that, my children, is how you handle an omen. Go forth and kick ass this week.

1 comment:

jan said...

without doubt, a sign of great posts to come.