Sunday, December 22, 2013

Glass Hat

Last night, while Robert was sitting on the bed getting ready to do an Improv show, there was a sudden CRASH and a football sailed through the window right over his head. Shattered glass missed his face by less than a foot.

It’s okay now. Robert covered the hole with cardboard and our neighbor is trying to get it repaired as quickly as possible, given that it’s the weekend before Christmas.

But damn, a crisis can put a damper on the old holiday spirit.

I was out with the little dog, so the worst was over by the time I arrived on the scene. My part was damage control. Auntie has a merit badge in damage control.

Hell, Auntie has a whole whatever-merit-badges-add-up-to in damage control.

And that’s what we associate with Christmas, damage control.

That wasn’t a joke and I’m not being sarcastic.

You’re young enough that just surviving the time with your extended family can cause damage. I remember that well. We should swap stories.

I got through it. You can too.

Hopefully you’ll do it with greater grace and sobriety than I did, but hey, whatever gets you through the tinsel.

Auntie has one piece of advice for you: If you do freak out and hit or throw something, try not to break anything made of glass. It’s a bitch to clean up.

No comments: