Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Excuse me

Courtesy is stupidly easy. When people go through a public door, they could glance behind them to make sure it’s not going to close on someone, but they don’t. (Robert has a theory that more women ignore this than men. Since he said it, I’ve been watching. He may well be right.)

Would it kill people to thank a waiter/ess who’s shlepping their food and refilling their cups? A tip doesn’t cancel out an occasional smile or a monosyllabic “Thanks” now and then. How hard is that?

No one should block the aisle with their shopping cart, nor the intersection if they can’t get through on the light. Don’t get me started on parking lots. Figure out which way the spaces go and go that way. Jeez.

The Internet is a rudeness magnifier, anonymity is psychological Kevlar. I played Bingo last night, not chatting at all, and got chewed out – by name, no less—because someone in the room didn’t like the way I was playing. Yes, in Bingo, of all places. Nowhere is safe.

What a relief that my friends are all outstandingly gracious individuals and good tippers. You make my world a nicer place to live, and I thank you.

No comments: