Monday, November 24, 2008

God Bless Rube Goldberg

Go ahead, say it. Luddite. Technophobe. Jim, I am your “Amish friend”--- which is in itself a Quaker joke but never mind.

After finally making the adjustment to a digital camera, thus admitting to posterity that convenience trumps artistry, and maneuvering the photo center at my local drugstore with a minimum of appalling missteps (beginning with failing to insert the thingy properly and concluding with failing to insert the disc at all) I brought home my brand-new photo disc (a bargain at $2.99) and loaded it onto the computer, only to get stuck again.

Personally, I blame you. Not all of you, just the handful of well-meaning ones who told me how unflattering my profile photo is.

Now I have a disc replete with adorable doggy pix (not just ours, also the Pug Princess, the Duchess and hizzoner Branz) none of which I know how to email to the relevant parties. Every time I try, my computer just laughs mockingly. Or maybe I’m hallucinating that after having clicked on every possible whatsit. Maybe it’s my adorable dog who is laughing. It isn’t me, that’s all I know.

Oh sure, I can (and will) wait for Robert to get home and take care of it, but that belies my honest attempts to navigate the technology myself. So, to posterity, I say, “I told you so!” and from now on I will leave machinery to Rube Goldberg and get on with my day.

No comments: