Saturday, December 6, 2008

Don't Read This!

Seriously, you’re a pal and I appreciate the thought, but stop right now. Go check the 7-day weather forecast, or read some gossip about celebrities I’ve never heard of. Spider Solitaire, Pogo, Warcraft— click on your cyber-opiate of choice. Trust me. So far at least, I have been utterly truthful on this blog and I mean it. Irrelevant, mind-numbing boredom lurks in the next paragraph.

We went to the Harvest Festival in Pomona today. (Yes, the arts & crafts fair. You thought I was kidding. Ha!) I know, we were just at the one in Ventura, and we don’t usually go twice in one season, but I had a couple of things to pick up that I can’t get anywhere else, so we went.

Remember the hoopla about the recession? Septic economy, unemployment the highest it’s been since, what, 1934? Forget all that. The place was packed. And I’m talking about the Pomona Fairplex, which is huge.

There were plastic bowls (available at the 99 Cent Store in bulk) with the word “popcorn” tackily written in paint-pen, selling for $4 each. There were scads of ugly fabric purses and uglier sweater-y things. Oil-cloth aprons. Piggy-banks that said things like “For The Boob Job”.

To be fair, there was beautiful hand-carved wood furniture, and more genuinely splendid jewelry than in Tiffany and Cartier combined. (I’m not buying any, still, they were there.) But the cool vendors were M.I.A., which means I didn’t find most of what we went there for. Apparently I was the only one. Crowds of people were dragging wagons and carts filled with ridiculous crap, blocking the aisles and elbowing other people away from the booths.

Where did they come from? And why, in today’s economy, would people spend so much money on a reindeer sign with their family name custom-painted on it for their front yard? We saw enough of them walking around with one. At least they weren’t using it as a weapon, which is something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, i stopped.




La Weakly

Hatnhare2 said...

And you missed a good concert for it.

jan said...

for once, i disobeyed!!! bwahahahah back atcha.
btw, why were the cool vendors MIA? could that have been the economic indicator? and those yard signs coulda been gifts, for people to whom they previosly gave tasteful, expensive objet (yeah, right).
i didn't think it was boring. if i had thought so, i would've stopped reading, per orders, which i have conditioned to Obey (as in, She Who Must Be...).