Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry Hell

As most of you know, I adore (and collect and devour) etiquette books. Let’s have a conversation about manners.

Don’t go! Come on, at least give me a chance.

Her Lady Goddess-ness Miss Manners’ entire oeuvre basically says that manners are a way for people to get along in groups. My example: It is good manners not to cross the street on a red light.

To extend the policy of the Golden Rule (which is theoretically inarguable but effectively a load of crap), good manners are about giving the other guy a break. While walking to my car this afternoon, I was nearly run over by a woman driving erratically through the parking lot. My first retaliatory impulse was checked when I realized she was being harangued by someone in the passenger seat.

We’ve all been there, especially this time of year. Everyone is depressed enough to begin with, compounded with worries about The Future. Or they are depressed about The Future, compounded by the season. Whichever. It’s there, for everybody. And they’re taking it out on total strangers. As annoying as people are, why not give them a break? The line was long to begin with, the parking space wasn’t that great, and that poor salesclerk is working miserable hours for no commission and minimum wage. Someone has to suck it up and break the cycle.

Remember, Santa is watching.

No comments: