Friday, February 6, 2009

Rain Reign

Rain changes things. At least it does in typically non-rainy Southern California. For example, my neighbors aren’t shouting profanities at each other in their backyard, which I can usually hear from my desk. This is a good and beautiful thing.

There’s also a psychological component at work here. Instead of other houses representing other lives outside my window, there is a blank wall of water. How contemplative, how meditative, how utterly zen-like it is to be isolated within my own thoughts. Rain does that.

Ah, the serenity. I can see why all those chintzy little plug-in fountains were so popular in the 90s, the tranquil plop plop plopping soothes and comforts. Conducive to so much, rain gives us the opportunity to open our minds in ways we don’t generally take the time to indulge in. Will it be philosophy? Creativity?

Nah, I think I’ll play some bingo.

No comments: