Friday, February 20, 2009

Connectivity

A butterfly flaps its wings in China and a parking space opens in Los Angeles. It’s all connected.

You don’t need me to tell you that. How many times have you slapped your mental forehead because you knew that something that had just happened would happen? No, this didn’t just happen to me. What happened to me was a conversation about eggplant.

When was the last time you talked about eggplant? Love the color, loathe the plant. It’s slimy and undelicious and force-fed to innocent vegetarians in obscene quantities. The only time I ever enjoyed it was in an Afghani restaurant in San Diego, a city I haven’t been to in living memory. In the spirit of full disclosure, I referenced it in the aforementioned conversation. That was yesterday.

Well, just now on my beloved Twitter, Mr. Stephen Fry --- who happens to have just landed in San Diego --- asked, “Any thoughts on ‘Afghan Cuisine’?”

Of course I told him about the place, which used to be terrific. After weeks of enjoying his tweets, this was my first reply to him. A happy moment, but it didn’t change my mind about eggplant.

2 comments:

carole* said...

Apologies to those who get this on auto-feed, I changed the line that didn't make sense. You're on your own for the rest of it.

Anonymous said...

but okra you eat!

L.A. Weakly