Saturday, April 11, 2009

On Burbank Pond

People say “stagnation” like it’s a bad thing.

You have your favorite books and foods. If you watch television, you have your favorite shows. (I do too, just not as many.) At work, there are tasks you enjoy doing, and tasks you dislike less than others. We gravitate to our preferences, that’s human nature.

Unless it means living on Froot Loops to the point of anemic constipation, what’s the harm?

Stagnation is the putative harm, the lack of personal growth through new experiences. Still waters may run deep but they get a yucky scum on top. The stone that doesn’t roll is mossy. So what? Moss is nice, and I’m sure that scum looks good to other scum—or something.

As a middle-aged person, I find myself valuing comfort over adventure. Once upon a time, that would have been anathema. I’ve had my share of adventures, with the metaphoric scars and trophies to show for them. Now I play Pogo. Oh, and every couple of weeks we Netflix an episode of “Midsomer Murders”. We watched one tonight, it was good.

Please try to contain your envy. Remember, the bucolic life isn’t for everyone.

No comments: