Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pride And Prefaces

In my recent readings, two different people, (both of whom are smarter than I am) said that the way to write a book is to sit down and write. Do it every day, no matter what the words are. Just keep going, and in the end you’ll have written a book.

That’s inarguable. Write, and you’ll have written. Eat and you’ll have eaten. Verb and you’ll have… oh, never mind.

I look around and I see people living in their lives like that. Go through the day and you’ll have gotten through the day. While that’s inevitable to some extent (would you work if they didn’t pay you?) it bothers me that no one seems proud of their accomplishments.

It took two things to make me realize this. One is a game on Pogo; useless as it is, I’ve become very good at it, and I’m proud of that. The other is this blog. You’ll never see the books I’ve written, and my scripts are either rewritings or rewritten. You see this blog. It’s mine, and I don’t “just write” it. (Insert your mocking taunt here. I have enough self-esteem to handle it.)

We know people who are arrogant beyond their achievements. Ignore them, I’m talking about us. When we do something, we should, if we can, do it well. There is value in that. It should make us feel good. There’s nothing wrong with honest, earned pride. It’s healthy, and will help you get through the day.

Speaking of health, it’s hot so please drink enough water. No, it has no philosophical significance. I just worry about you.

No comments: