Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Back in 1995, I cut what had been a mass of long hair to almost Marine-like brevity. I did it while on vacation. When I came back and went to my regular coffeehouse, a courtly old man in a suit and tie-- in San Diego, in summer (?!)-- walked up to me, took my hand, bowed over it and said very seriously, “You used to have such beautiful hair.” That was all he said. I never saw him before, I never saw him since. I let my hair grow back.

In 1999, I read an interview wherein an American actress described her character as “not having the confidence to have short hair.” That comment stayed with me. (Jenna Elfman, re: “EdTV”)

I don’t remember which French actress said that at 30, a woman cuts her hair to her shoulders. At 40, it’s cut to the chin. 50, it’s at the ears. This week I had my hair cropped to my ears. No, I’m not 50 and won’t be for a while. I did it because I wanted to. My hairdresser didn’t, but I’m bigger than she is.

What is it with hair? The guys at my hardcore gym didn’t comment. Significant, because here people are judged only by how they train. The guys at my regular gym asked when I’ll grow it back. There, women are judged by how attractive they look according to old-school standards that require lots of hair. Notice the use of “people” in the first case and “women” in the second. Freud should have been an editor, my point is already made.

Short hair definitely takes guts. The social template is more Bea Arthur than Audrey Hepburn. The short hair spectrum is something like gamine-boyish-mannish-butch. There’s something decadent about long hair. The most beautiful hair I know makes Lady Godiva look like the abovementioned Marine. (Hi, Sis!)

In my youth, I was a hair model, did you know that? But I’ve never been decadent. Never mind, I like it and Robert love-love-loves it, so that’s that.

2 comments:

hairy sib said...

In the marketplace wherein human hair is bought and sold for human use (wigs, extensions, what have you), hair of Russian extraction is particularly prized and costly. apparently due to its strength, beauty, etc.

besides, it's summer.
lovely thing about hair (and words)-- mutability.

Cheri Sicard said...

I never knew I had confidence and guts, but I have had short hair for most of my life (very short). I did turn 50 this year, but have been cutting my hair since my teens. About the only one who ever laments it is my (much) older sister. After trying to grow it out these past 2 years I have again gone to Marine-short hair again and I love it. My hair just doesn't work long (I have awful hair, it barely works short). I have fine, thinning hair and for the first time have considered just shaving it all off if it gets much thinner. Admittedly, THAT would take guts.

As for you Carole, I think you look gorgeous no matter what!

One clarification, I'm not sure if you meant Robert likes it long or short?