Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Vacuum Packed

Serenity. Peace. Zen emptiness, my mind was barren of thought or stress. A mental vacuum is as abhorred by nature as any other. Wham! Bang! Kapow! On went the computer and in rushed the world.

The older I get, the more stuff fills my time. Sure, everything takes longer – and not only because I have to go into a room two or three times before I remember why, smarty-pants. There’s more to do, and more people to do it for.

Pace is everything. One foot in front of the other and keep going. I gave that advice twice tonight in entirely different contexts. Everybody’s life seems full to bursting, it’s dizzy-making just trying to keep track of it all.

Then I look down and see that the dog’s bowls need attention. Everything stops again, until the kibble is abundant and the water is clean. Priorities bring balance, and tranquility reigns once more. Well, technically Jonah reigns, but he seems pretty placid about that.

No comments: