Saturday, September 25, 2010

Jet Fuelled

We were micro-assaulted while we walked home from dinner last night (which was with our friend Paul B., who doesn’t read blogs so I won’t bother to say hi.) The cutest black kitten attached itself to our feet. We ducked, swerved and took sophisticated evasive maneuvers, to no avail. It followed us home, and was still hiding under Robert’s car this morning.

Who are you? Do you know me in real life? You might remember the (now deceased) beautiful half-coyote dog who went just about everywhere with me for fifteen and a half years. Her ashes have been in a box on a shelf for a decade now, and until Jonah, I had no other animals. That is, until this morning.

We named the kitten Jet, after the stray dog in Nero Wolfe. The vet will tell us on Monday if she’s been chipped. It was difficult only buying food for her. I wanted to get All of Everything, but I’m trying not to get too attached, just in case. Jonah is already attached. He grooms her and follows her around. She’s learned to climb the tree, and to come back down when I put out the bowl of kitty kibbles.

There’s something about this little creature. I’ve never been a cat person, but she’s bringing me around. Of course I’ll do my best to see if she already has a home. In any case, she does now, if she wants to stay.

No comments: