Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Merry Thanksgiving

Since the Christmas decorations went up a few weeks ago, the thought occurred to me that we’re now spending a sixth of our lives decked in tinsel.
Now, I like Christmas. The people I love best come to my table and I get to feed them. I like sparkly things, and I like nutmeg. Most folks pretend to be nice for the month of December, and that’s a pleasant change.

Still, the decoration thing pisses me off. Thanksgiving gets cheated. Oh sure, a house up the street has a huge inflated turkey wearing a top hat. There’s a cornucopia flag or two. Whoopee.

Thanksgiving is a good holiday in theory, despite its murky history. Especially in difficult times, we should take a day to focus on what’s good about our lives. But we don’t. We deal with having to get to where we’re going and then stuff our faces with a predetermined menu. Come on, how often do you eat cranberries the rest of the year? Thanksgiving has devolved into a dry run for Christmas.

Never mind. I’ll be with my loved ones for a nice meal, and I hope you can say the same.

No comments: