Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Name Calling, Part 2

It started when I went to the bank this morning. The smarmy post-pubescent teller called me by my first name. Okay, I can accept that. But when he referred to my withdrawal as money he was “giving” me, I wanted to smack him twice. Good thing they have that bullet-proof (ergo smack-proof) glass.

Next, I went to the gym. A guy I don’t know, although we nod in passing because we’re both there a lot, called me by name. We’ve never been introduced. I don’t know his name. I don’t want to. I don’t even want to nod, but courtesy is necessary in that environment because you see the same people over and over again. Obviously he asked a friend of mine what my name is, but can you scream “Creepy!”? I should have done that at the time, but I didn’t.

Fine, we’re a first-name society. I would blame hi-my-name-is-Kevin-and-I'll-be-your-waiter from the 80s, but he’s probably gone to the Great Audition In The Sky by now. Can we please just agree to wait until someone gives us their name before we start using it? Pretty please with low-carb sweetener on top? Besides, this way there’s no pressure to remember it the next time you see them.

http://scarycookies.blogspot.com/2009/05/name-calling.html

That’s the “Name Calling” post from May 2, 2009. Two posts make it an official peeve.

No comments: