Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Judgment Day

Some of the most tolerant people I know are also the most judgmental. I know how tolerant they are because they tell me so. I know how judgmental they are because I know them. Besides, it takes one to know one.

From the moment your alarm goes off, your life becomes a series of judgments. Up or snooze? Eyeliner or don’t bother? What about that extra cup of coffee? Do you believe what you see/hear on the news? Do you take the freeway or go by surface streets?

Here’s an anecdote for you: I don’t watch much TV. There’s probably fewer than half a dozen shows programmed into the DVR. It’s not a snob thing, I’d watch more if I wanted to. So I wasn’t too surprised when I got snubbed by an acquaintance who said he doesn’t watch any TV at all. “None?” asked I. “None!” he affirmed triumphantly, thus proving his moral superiority for all time, amen.

Then it turned out he follows “Dancing with the Stars” and “American Idol” among many, many others. When my eyebrows went up, he made sure I understood that he doesn’t watch them, his wife does and he sits next to her.

This is an example of me being judgmental. I found that amusingly silly.

No comments: