Friday, April 8, 2011

Map Of Darkness

We were walking the dog just now. On the top of a low wall was one of those nice maps that AAA doesn’t give out anymore. This one, I think, was for the Conejo Valley. We don’t live anywhere near there. Sure it was odd, but I didn’t expect Robert’s reaction. (@AlphonseBunter of course.)

“I forgot to tell you. I’ve found maps just like this all over town. One was for British Columbia, one was for Arizona. I don’t remember the others.”

Apparently the map thing has been going on for about a week, not daily, but often enough to be a phenomenon. We have no idea what’s going on, but I was charmed. It reminded me of a prank I pulled back in college.

One of you already knows this story. It was 1979, my freshman year. A friend and I were up til the wee hours reveling in the insight we found in Joseph Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness”. I had a stack of those ubiquitous (well, they were then) 3 x 5 cards. We wrote “Heart of Darkness” symbols on hundreds of them and set out with a bunch of Scotch™ tape. It took the rest of the night, and a bored and amused security guard (my friend was lovely and I was persuasive) but we covered a significant portion of the huge campus. Inside elevators, behind doors, there were buildings I had never been in before and never went back to since. Months later, people still talked about it. I never told. But years later, just before I graduated, I ran across one that had never been removed. It meant more to me than the diploma.

The message of the maps is more obscure. Whoever is doing it, good job!

No comments: