Monday, June 11, 2012

Rules About Tools

There will be a quiz, so take notes. Remember Auntie’s Three Rules? (Richard, put down your hand. We all know you know them.) To recap:

1. It can’t be helped.
2. It’s got to be done.
3. People suck.

While it’s been a particularly Rule #3 sort of day, I’d like to discuss something that hasn’t made it into the official rule set mostly because I didn’t make it up:

It’s not always about you.

Sure, you know that. I know it, too – in theory. But just try not taking it personally when somebody is being particularly douche-y to you. In that moment when the unforgivable words are snapped in your face, try to sit back and tell yourself that this douchebag – ahem, this individual – is under a lot of stress and you’re just the closest available vent-able surface.

Sure. You do that and let me know how it works out.

In reality, if it happens to you then it’s about you. It happened to me, ergo it is about me. Even if I did nothing to cause it, let alone deserve it. You didn’t either, and you had to put up with your share, I’m sure.

You know what? Now that I think about it, “It’s not always about you” doesn’t even deserve to be a rule. Never mind. We’re back to my three, and can skip the quiz. You all passed with flying colors, except Richard who got extra credit.

No comments: