Saturday, November 10, 2012

Boo Humbug, Redux

Well, here we are. Almost two weeks into November, and our next door neighbor just took down his elaborate Halloween decorations. No, I’m not bitching about that.

He replaced them with Christmas ones. Already.

I’m bitching about that.

Granted, he’s in his 30s and doesn’t remember a time when the forces of Good prevailed and no one put up Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving.

Hell, I’m a lot older and I barely remember it.

But I promise you that there was a time, once upon a time, a Golden Age – or at least an Un-Gilded Age -- when people would put up paper leaves in red and orange, and cornucopia(s? or is it already plural?) and ugly fake turkeys in the weeks between jack o’lanterns and twinkle lights.

Ok, it wasn’t pretty. But you know what?

That green tinsel they’re hanging won’t look so great in another couple of months, and I’ll be lucky if he takes it down before Valentine’s Day.

Author's Note: If you noticed the title change, and you're a doll if you did, it's because I realized that there was a post called Boo Humbug back in November of 2011. Who knew? Not me.

No comments: