Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Twas The Month Before Christmas

The path of least resistance is never paved with things we ought to do.

Decorations abound. It’s still November, so the music has yet to cloy. Last-minute panic is but a distant memory of years past. At this point holidays sparkle like fun on the calendar’s horizon.

“Ought to” is even duller than usual.

Excuses and rationalizations will soon be as abundant as tinsel and brightly colored plastic. Auntie herself sat down to write this rather than be useful, but there were plenty of other excuses. I mean rationalizations. I mean reasons.

By this time next week, I’ll be able to substitute baking for blogging if I want to, and blogging is an avoidance technique already.

I’m starting to see why New Year’s resolutions are so popular. When January finally rolls around, postponed duties will be metaphorically piled higher than the very real discarded trees on the curb.

But even if your fridge already oozes eggnog, there are important things that Must Be Done. ASAP even. And I’m not talking about putting up twinkle lights. That can wait.

It’s time to walk the little dog.

1 comment:

Morgue said...

You have a higher tolerance for Christmas Music than I do. I'm all cloyed out already.