Sunday, November 10, 2013

U-ey & The Mews

The following isn’t just based on a true story. It is a true story, and it’s being reported a hell of a lot more accurately than anything you’ll see on cable TV.

(I haven’t even put the groceries away yet, that’s how accurate this reporting is, or is about to be.)

Here’s what happened within the last two hours:

Auntie was driving to the first item on her To Do list for the day. Yes, it’s Sunday. No, she has neither church nor football. If that’s news to you, then welcome to Scarycookies and thank you for making your first visit to this blog. You rock.

Now back to our regularly scheduled story.

Anyhow, I was taking a shortcut up a residential street (the one without speed bumps) and I saw, up ahead in the distance, a cat crossing the road in front of me. It was a dark cat but I couldn’t see the exact color from way back there.

Newbies are nonplussed by that. Scarycookies regulars already know what happened next and are snickering mockingly at their old Auntie.

Of course I pulled a u-ie. U-ey. Made a u-turn. Whatever you want to call it, I did not drive over that path.

That’s not the story.

The story is that between items two and three on the To Do list, it happened again, this time with a visibly all-black cat. Another u-turn, another route.

Don’t be a cynical smarty-pants and say that I only did it to have something about which to blog. While I’m not above that kind of thing, too many of you know me in real life and know that I’m perfectly capable of even more compulsively superstitious behavior.

See previous posts re superstitious behavior and self-fulfilling prophecy. I’ve posted 524 times here and there’s a limit to how often I’m willing to repeat myself, though I’ll do it one more time now:

To quote my friend Max Maven quoting Nils Bohr on the subject of superstition, “I understand it works whether you believe in it or not.”

Besides, I came up with a cute title while I was at a red light, and I’ve posted worse for less.

No comments: