Friday, November 1, 2013

NaNoWriMo Part Two, The Sequel, Redux, As In: Son Of NaNoWriMo

Well, my darlings, Auntie has done it again. Not only has she begun NaNoWriMo (Google it, or search in the Scarycookies search box on the top left of the page because I’ve done this before and you’d think I would know better) but… well, no.

NaNoWriMo is enough, full stop.

I was going to tell you about the ridiculous thing your Auntie did this morning, but then I got caught up in NaNoWriMo and spent two and a half hours getting my first 1,900 done.

Yes, yes, I know, 1,667 words a day is the goal, but it’s so much more glorious to burn out after overextending yourself in the beginning, isn’t it?

This time it’s different. I’m doing it for fun. For once I’m not going to pressure myself to finish at any cost, no matter how bad the product is.

Hahahaha snort!

Auntie made a funny.

Auntie is compulsive about finishing tasks, which makes this even stupider.

I say “stupider” instead of the correct “more stupid” to demonstrate the irrelevance of word count in a blog post. If this was part of NaNoWriMo, I might have said “so very much more stupid” because that’s five instead of two.

You get the idea.

Mark Twain got paid by the word for “The Innocents Abroad”, that’s why it’s so long. The same with Dickens. There is a proud history in Literature of people padding their word count.

Those among us who are by nature sneaky and suspicious might think that there is a connection to NaNoWriMo there.

(If you've ever attempted your own NaNoWriMo you’d be giggling with a tinge of hysteria at that. Well, maybe not this early in the month, but give it a week or two.)

Anyhow, I’ll save the stupid thing I did this morning for later in the month, when I run out of things to blog because my fingers have worn themselves down to the nub on the daily 1,667.

To my NaNoWriMo brethren, I say Excelsior!

To the rest of you, I apologize in advance.

No comments: