Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Solitaire-y

What do you think about when you’re alone? This isn’t rhetorical, nor is it abstract. I mean you, honey. Don’t look behind you. No one is reading this over your shoulder. I’m writing to you.

Now that we’ve established that this is a conversation, I ask you again, what do you think about when you’re alone? Can you just sit – not in traffic, not waiting for the dentist, just in a room or somewhere – and not be bored?

I don’t do it a lot, but I can. However, I often spend an hour on some cardio equipment or other without a book, TV or headphones (trick statement, I never use headphones for anything) and just think. Apparently it’s unusual enough that I thought I’d ask you about it.

There are so many ways to get into or out of our heads: zoning in, zoning out, or my personal favorite, the hypothetical conversation. Lordy me, I’ve had some beauties. Usually with people who are either dead or otherwise unavailable, so it’s safe. But most of the time I just think.

There was a line I heard once, “When you talk to yourself, who answers?”

In this particular case, it’s easy. You do. I just can’t hear you.

No comments: