Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What's New?

I may not watch much TV but I’m not immune from marketing. The message is “NEW IS GOOD!” --- And they mean each and every capital letter.

Yeah, yeah, we get it. If it’s broke, replace it. If you’ve argued, end the relationship and start over with someone new. Toss that antique your Grandma gave you and head to Ikea. Don’t even think of clicking “Get used” on Amazon.

Sure, learning new things prevents Alzheimer’s. And the mattress commercial on the radio, you know, the one about the dust mites, is scary. But someone ought to stick up for the status quo.

I’ve said before that if I want a change, I’ll go counter-clockwise around the post instead of clockwise. It took me years to upholster the comfy rut that is my life and I don’t want anything to mess with it. In case I get a choice, it’s the one I already made. I’m fine, thanks. (Knocking on wood, I’m also superstitious. See previous posts.)

It seems like nothing is good enough anymore. Everything requires improvement, or updating or modifying. Perfectly good movies are remade, books are reissued, and actors aren’t the only ones getting new faces and new bodies. I miss adequacy and satisfaction. I miss “good enough”.

“Happily ever after” isn’t even an option. It can’t be, because five minutes later it would be outdated. Well, they can’t have mine.

No comments: