Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Unlisted

Some people like unspoiled scenic vistas. Others prefer a child’s laugh or Bach. For me, one of Life’s Most Beautiful Things is a completely crossed-off ‘to do’ list.

I’m sure there was a time when I didn’t make lists. I doubt my grammar school penmanship classes contained little sheets saying: play, snack, watch cartoons. However, for as long as I can remember, I’ve made lists. (As an aside, I wish I’d kept them. They would be better than a diary to look back on in my later years.)

Anyhow, the only reason why I’m bringing this up is that I just destroyed a list before the activities began. You see, I make relaxation lists too. No, for me that’s not an oxymoron. I make lists of places I want to eat on vacation, parceled out over how many days (ergo meals) we’ll have. It’s what I do, and I bring it with us and cross them off one by one.

But it turns out I’m weird. (Put your joke here, I’ll wait. Choose one, we don’t have all day.) You really can’t plan spontaneity. After talking to Robert about it, I tore up the list for our next trip. Yes, I had already made it. No, we’re not going for another month at least.

It’s throwing caution to the desert winds, as well as the dessert winds. Every card will be a wild card. Oh the freedom, and oh the exhilaration, and oh the comfort of knowing that I can still make a list of where we went after we get back.

No comments: