Tuesday, April 10, 2012

She Said

I took Melva to the doctor today. (Just a check-up, thanks for asking.) I waited with my book in the waiting room. A young woman ignored the row of empty chairs and sat right next to me. She was on her phone loudly, not using her indoor voice at all.

I had to close the book after a couple of minutes’ noise, not that I cared about the custom designer couch she’s buying. I glanced around. She was getting evil stares from the receptionists and nurses, as well as the other waiting patients. Oh, did I mention that she was very expensively dressed? The rest of us weren’t. She seemed to think that it somehow justified her disruption of our environment.

I swiveled in my chair so that I faced her, my book closed on my lap, openly watching with polite interest and a smile. She interrupted herself mid-sentence and said to me, “Yes?”

“Since I can’t read while you’re talking, I thought I’d listen to you instead.” I answered courteously.

“Fine.” She nodded. She did not lower her voice. She continued the call as if I wasn’t there.

Maybe she’s used to ignoring servants at home. Luckily she was summoned into the doctor’s sanctum before she could finish dialing her next call. It’s just as well. Everyone else was getting restless and for posterity’s sake, I don’t think a revolution should ever start in a gynecologist’s office.

No comments: