Saturday, October 13, 2012

La La La

What are you good at?

Har har. Not funny. What are you good at besides that.

You don’t get to decide if you’re good at that anyhow. I don’t care how many times you’ve asked. Asking sounds needy and besides, if you’re in that sort of situation then most people won’t want to hurt your feelings.

So I was driving around today and the guy on the radio kept saying over and over, “People are good at doing things they love to do.”

Stop with the entendres. I’m trying to have a conversation here. From now on, I’m just going to “la la la I can’t hear you” if you do it again.

Where was I? Right. People are good at doing things they love to do.

It took me a while to realize I don’t believe it. I mean, obviously it’s often true, but enough to qualify as a cliché or truism?

I think not.

There’s two ways to hit it. (La la la, I can’t hear you.) The first would be by looking at things you love to do and deciding if you’re good at them or not. The second would be vice versa.

Some of you would cite your professional achievements, which are varied and impressive and often intimidating. Good for you.

Others of you might mention your Sky Rim or Guild Master scores, which I don’t want to encourage despite my being 21% of the way to my 7th degree black belt in Pop Fu. Yes, really. Save your applause.

Game theory says that people love doing things they’re already good at. Makes sense, I can kind of see it.

But the radio guy’s point was about making money.

While it’s impossible to play Pop Fu professionally, it’s illegal to earn a living doing that.

La la la, I can’t hear me.

1 comment:

Morgue said...

I would just like to point out that Skyrim is one word and does not have a score, per se. Also that I am a nerd.