Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lights! Camera! Inaction.

There’s a street fair near our house on the third Friday night of each month. Of course I never go, because I’m at Danger Room on Friday nights. Except last night I didn’t go to Danger Room and it happened to be fair night.

That’s what my father used to call quite a coinky-dink. Yeah, he was a Marine. Why do you ask?

Jim came over. Jim also was a Marine, but that’s not germane to the story. I leashed Jonah and we all walked into the fray. Haha. Auntie made a semi pun. Fair-fray. Ok, no. Never mind.

Onward…

Little Jonah was thrilled to bits. Not only were many other dogs there for him to sniff and then ignore, but people dropped bits of food. Most of the bits were snatched by the other (read: younger) dogs, but he got a bite of Jim’s bratwurst so he was happy.

He was also very popular. Two of the pretty 20ish girls who stopped to pet him were surrounded by lighting, sound and camera guys. Jonah was spooked (he was wearing the same amount of makeup that I was, but he’s a dog. He still looked fabulous.) The girls moved on after a very brief interchange.

That’s when the harried assistant shoved a release form in my face. It seems they were filming some kind of reality show.

See previous about no makeup and not looking fabulous. I declined to sign.

Apparently that’s never happened before. She immediately got on the phone to tell someone that “the woman with the dog refused to sign!” I was waiting for Jim, so I watched everybody else who was anywhere nearby sign their own forms, and then get their pictures taken holding their releases next to their faces.

This is where Auntie should get all wise and write a scathing (but humorous) commentary about our media-obsessed culture. Can we please just pretend that I did and that you were suitably impressed? Phew. Thanks, honey. I owe you cookies.

No, I never found out what show it was. If you see a middle-aged woman in jeans and an oversized hoodie with a pixilated face wrangling a fluffy little caramel beast, that’s probably your cranky Auntie. Be kind.

If you want to, you can friend Jonah on Facebook. He’s Jonah D. Mann. Yes, because he’s da man and that’s no coinky-dink.

No comments: