Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ass-Bit

Technology, for all its excitement and convenience, can bite me in the ass in ways so unexpected that it’s like being ambushed by (rather than hoisted on) my very own petard.

I twittered, “What shall I blog about next?” and was bitten in the ass by the following reply:

cool! :D how about the wonder that is costco. Since I'm there now

“So what?” you ask, and most reasonably at that. So I hate-loathe-despise Costco. I dislike the crowds, the smell, the electronic buzz that permeates my brain whenever I can’t avoid going in there. I have no use for ten pounds of sliced meat or dormitory-sized boxes of paper clips.

And, worse, I am absolutely convinced that Costco is a metaphor, and I don’t want to think about why. Excellent customer service provides enormous quantities of random things--- except for some way of comfortably carrying it all out to the car. (Those cut up boxes are useless, don’t get me started.) People buy more than they can use of things they probably don’t need thinking that they’re saving money, which they may not be, depending on what they got. Yep, it’s definitely a metaphor.

Sigh. Of course I could avoid the subject, as you are thinking right now, but that would betray my standing as a member of the Twitterati. And I love Twitter every bit as much as I dislike Costco. Hopefully, the next time I tweet for a topic--- and you just know there will be a next time--- I’ll get something more to my taste and yours.

Although with my luck, it’ll be something like the political implications of ear wax.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just order my digital photos printed there. Otherwise, I can't stand the lines. Oh, and if I need to, I get toilet paper too.