Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Poetic License

Did you ever read or see the Dorothy Sayers story, “Have His Carcase”?
Harriet Vane and Peter Wimsey fling poetry at each other. They don’t just throw the quotes; they recognize, finish and top them.

The first time I read it, I found this behaviour unbelievable to the point of absurdity. Obviously there must have been people who memorized some works of Donne, Tennyson, et al., but not to this extreme. Then I read further among the writings of that era, not just the mysteries, and this happened all the time--- in books.

Pish tosh. Bullshit. However you want to phrase it, it’s ridiculous to think people could do that in real life.

At about the same time, I knew all the lyrics to all the music I liked. Not just the hits, also the rest of the albums and any differences between the live and the studio versions. Hell, I had inadvertently memorized songs I hated, just from exposure. Nor did I feel intellectually smug for doing so, because everyone did. Not so different from flinging poetry, when you think about it. (Young people, you should wiki “records”)

So when I marvel at how different the modern world is, with all our speed and immediacy, maybe it’s not as strange as I thought. Maybe I’m just not caught up yet. Maybe I should start reading John Donne. Or maybe I’m just lucky if I can recognize new works by bands I like. “Go Away White” comes to mind, but never mind.

No comments: