Monday, January 19, 2009

Thought For The Day

Today’s thought is: Suck it up. (Actually, it was yesterday’s, but never mind. It still works.)

While this is universally good advice, it comes to mind because of something one of my favorite muscle-bound lummoxes at the gym said to me as I was handling some puny – I mean dainty—weights, like 30s or 35s.

“Huh. I remember when you used to walk around with 45s like they were nothing.”

Well, that’s an exaggeration. I may have swaggered a bit, but I never thought 45s were nothing. They’re more than I lift now, and I just have to suck that up, even though we’re only talking about last year. The inexorable passage of time, the vagaries of the Human Condition, the flowers that bloom in the spring, tra la. No, strike that last one. Flowers are good. I’m not so sure about the inexorable passage of time.

Annoying, but what can you do? Complaining is fun and frolicsome, but it won’t rescue newspapers, or bring back your favorite food at Trader Joe’s. Entropy is as much a fact of life as progress. But for every step forward (twitter, twitter!) we lose something. There is hope. We got over “Calvin and Hobbes”, after all, and that was a bitter loss.

However, if you’ve got some 45 pound dumbbells lying around, and if you just want them moved from one side of the room to the other, I’m game.

1 comment:

jan said...

no, but i may take you up on that re some bales of hay. will let you know. you are, after all, now the (expectant) Auntie of a hungry Thoroughbred ex-racehorse.