Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Dichotomy Du Jour, Revisited

Once upon a time (September 8, 2010 if you want to be picky about it) we talked about the dichotomy between obligation and responsibility.

Don’t worry, this isn't a quiz. It can't be because we never managed to conclude anything. We're only back to the topic because about half an hour ago, I realized this:

Obligation is endemic, whereas responsibility is assumed.

Yeah, it took a few years. Epiphany requires a catalyst and mine just began a few days ago.

Someone close to me had something not-good happen. I was there, and able to help, so I helped. The not-good is almost all good now. Credit for the newly recovered goodness was offered to me, but I declined it without explaining why.

Instead, I’ll tell you.

One of the few stated principles of my life is (say it with me, long time readers): if there’s a genuine problem, and you’re able to help, then you are morally obligated to do so. It’s not a Good Deed, it’s just normal. Not helping would be a Bad Deed, you get docked for that. You get no points for doing the right and proper thing. That’s life.

Accepting credit for helping would be fatuous. While I won’t say that anyone would have done what I did, many people could have. I was there, it got done. I don’t take responsibility for a moral obligation.

See where I’m going?

We accept responsibility (or we choose it. That’s another discussion entirely.) Obligations exist whether or not we acknowledge them.

I know, I know. You’ve got too many obligations, and your responsibilities weigh heavily on your heart and your schedule. You can’t spare the energy to differentiate.

Besides, thinking about it won’t make any of it go away so why bother? The answer to that is; you didn’t. This old philosophy major did and you got carried along for the ride.

No comments: