Sunday, June 2, 2013

Silver Belles


It happened again tonight. I saw yet another 20-something with dyed gray hair.

I don’t know how many I’ve seen, more than a few, fewer than a dozen. I know one of them. She’s very nice.

When I saw my first one, all I could think was, “Oh great. Now they’re taking that too.”

The one tonight was male. I think he sees himself as a modern Andy Warhol. He carried himself as if he thought that. Well, he has the hair. Sort of.

Andy Warhol supposedly dyed his hair white in order to be taken more seriously as an artist. Maybe the guy tonight had the same motivation. I never asked the young woman I know why she wants gray hair. It’s none of my business.

My hair is mostly silvery gray. People have treated me differently since I went gray, but not better.

I’ve gotten the Senior Discount at the movies even though I’m ten years away from qualifying for it. No, I didn’t ask. They just gave it to me.

Maybe that’s why the 20-somethings are going through all the time, effort and expense to dye their hair gray. Maybe they’re all movie buffs.

Maybe they don’t know that they’re only saving $1.50 per ticket.

That makes more sense than if they’re trying to be taken more seriously, because it really doesn’t look serious.

No comments: