Tuesday, November 21, 2017

All Systems Go

It has begun!

Finally, I got to start the legit prep. There isn't all that much which can be done two days out, but what there was, is done.

I made the wild mushroom and barley thing, although I didn't use barley because I found some pearled faro at the store last week. I didn't even know faro could be pearled, but it was and I cooked it and it's yummy.

I cubed an entire loaf of challah and minced parsley, sage and rosemary for the stuffing. Yes, there will be thyme, just like in the song, but it goes in separately and I didn't want to have to keep track of two teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme given how stuffed my kitchen is right now. I chopped onions and celery and put them aside for tomorrow.

The pie crusts are out of the freezer and the bone-in turkey breast has been brined.

There was a small crisis with the yams. I couldn't find my ricer and for a scary quarter of an hour it looked like I was going to have to peel four pounds of sweet potatoes but in the end, it turned out okay. The pureed yams with coconut and sriracha are chilling as I type this.

Tomorrow is the big day. I'm hoping to complete five recipes. I don't expect to, I'm sure one will be discarded, but right now, there are five on the list.

It's like one of those elimination cooking shows where they show everyone scrambling and stirring and chopping and flailing and failing and then the music comes on and voila, they all have their finished dishes in front of them awaiting judgment.

Cross your fingers and wish me luck.

No comments: