Sunday, November 12, 2017

On Your Marks

Whee--ee-ee my darlings. Thanksgiving cometh. It's visible on the horizon. Time to ramp up.

Auntie is pretty stoked right now. If you read this blog before, you'll know that Thanksgiving is my day. Feeding people I love makes me happy. I start planning the food in May and tweak the plan in the odd moment here and there between then and now. I set the final menu weeks ago.

Okay yeah, I changed it again this morning. In my defense, I now see a problem with the latest change and may revert back. Or change it yet again.

So far I've tested a new spinach recipe with acceptable but not stellar results (although I'm working on how to improve it) and done everything I can at this point except source two ingredients and draft the master shopping list.

Well, and work through the crack pie. And make a decision about the devilled egg issue.

(Shut up, spell check. Deviled eggs with one "l" looks vile.)

Anyhow, this morning I used my shiny new mandoline to sliver potatoes for the cheesy scalloped potato recipe, a small pan of which is test-baking as I type to you. When that's out, I'll try a different spinach paneer recipe. It looks much better than the one I tried before. I love the idea of making spinach paneer instead of just plain spinach even if it isn't traditional.

Tomorrow I attack the crack pie and make a decision about pumpkin.

Who am I kidding? It's not Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. Non-traditional is one thing, but pie is definitive even if my mother doesn't like pumpkin.

Well, that's the update. I'm going to check on the potatoes and see if it's time to uncover them and sprinkle more cheese and let it brown to a crispy crust. Cross your fingers for me.

No comments: